I fixed my steering wheel controls for the radio today. None of them ever worked, besides the volume button which worked maybe 5% of the time or less. And I could only increase the volume. For the past couple months the buttons haven't worked at all. Plus the volume **** on the radio itself rarely works!
They work awesome now.
In part due to how I fixed them. I don't know why they ever used rubber! I tried the toothpick fix, but didn't have round ones, so they didn't always hit the button inside the control. So I found some finishing nails that were the same diameter as the pins, and cut the heads off the nails to be the same length. Works PERFECTLY. I'll never have to worry about them not working again. If anyone needs to fix theirs, I recommend this idea as another way to do it.