My list of interior parts to replace includes both sun visors. I have not had much luck finding ones that are in better condition than my current saggy & torn ones. A couple of days ago I decided to explore the option of recovering them... myself.
The driver'* visor had been stripped of it'* outerwear some time ago and the plastic was cleaned to remove all of the goopy crap that held the fabric in place. I made a cardboard template and transfered this onto a thick t-shirt for a practice run. I think Doreen'* sewing machine was brought over on the Santa Maria, traded to the Native Americans for some goods and then somehow ended up in my closet. Needless to say I was unable to get my stitch on until I obtained a decent machine. Mother-in-law to the rescue! I borrowed hers today.
With sewing maching all strung up and beer at my side, I went to work. This is the results of the first attempt with the t-shirt material;
The third picture shows the part that I would consider to be unacceptable. It was rather hard to make the tight curve being such a novice. You'll also notice that the material seems to be very loose in the upper part of the pic. this is the area that the materal gets glued in and the upper and lower part of the visor snaps together. Obviously since this is a practice run so no glue was used.
Monday I will return to the place where I bought the headliner material and buy another yard of the same fabric. Of course I will include some pics of the finished product.