Look familiar? Yea, mine too. I am intrinsically a cheap bastard so I thought of a way to fix this. I went to the hardware store first but could not find what I was looking for. Then I remembered a former neighbor was an avid fisherman and decided to pay him a visit. He had exactly what I was looking for.
I left Moose'* house with about 3 feet of coated steel cable used to make homemade leaders for fishing lures along with some crimp sleeves and a couple of hook thingies. Then I went to work;
First I drilled two 1/16" holes in the front part of the transmitter case. These were located about 1/16" on either side of the center of the case. Next, I threaded the cable in one hole and out the other creating a loop that goes around the mounting screw threaded insert. The coating was stripped from the end of the cable half the length of the crimp sleeve
. The stripped end was then inserted into the sleeve and slid along the cable to produce a loop that has just a small ammount of slack around the threaded insert. With my trusty Klein crimpers, the loop was made and was very tight.
The other loop was made the same way. I decided on a loop size that I liked and
added another half of crimp sleeve length
to it. Then it was crimped.
Tada! I now have a transmitter that can go everywhere my keys go. This took me about a half an hour to complete becauseIi was attempting to insert the ends into the crimp sleeves without stripping them. They didn't fit. Had I known this before, it probably would have been a 15 minute job. It didn't cost me a dime but I would guess that it could be done for under $5. I still have some supplies left so if you have difficulty finding them , I'll send you some.