04-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Posts like a Camaro
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Re: How does this sound...zzzz...sleepers
Originally Posted by 89BonnieSE89
As I was browsing another forum I came across this...
The ultimate sleeper
If you were to build up a realistic sleeper, what would you do? I'm not talking about buying the car, but building one up, that one wouldn't assume to be quick. I.E....buying a GNX and/or building up a GN/GNX.
Here'* my thoughts, hopefully to turn in to a realistic project:
1. Start with a 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme sedan
2. Remove crappy 3100 V6 and 4T60-E transmission
3. Remove front brake hardware
4. Remove all four wheels and tires
5. Obtain either a L67 (Supercharged GM 3800 V6) equipped donor car, or entire powerplant stuff, including engine, trans, axles, wiring...stuff like that
6. Rebuild the L67 motor with a better valvetrain, P&P heads, performance cam, computer, headers, smaller pulley, CAI, full exhaust
7. Build up the 4T65-E HD transmission to take more torque
8. Install cross drilled front rotors, and possibly four piston front calipers, use race pads
9. Install slotted rear rotors, and replace the crappy GM rear calipers with something else, use race pads
10. Install Mille Miglia HT-3 18x8 rims in Carbon Grey, along with 225/40-R18 Bridgestone Potenza *-O3 Pole Position tires
11. Install various but necessary engine monitoring guages to keep things in check.
12. Keep up with Corvettes on the dragstrip!
This should be a $6000 or so project, yielding me a new motor, transmission, and other go fast goodies. The only outward cues will be the 18" wheels, and the upgraded brake hardware poking through.
So...what do you think?
Welcome to an ADTR Project. Except is a 95 Cutlass. The car will be able to road race as well as go fast in a straight line. We will keep it with the Eaton at first then switch it over to a turbo setup.