Here'* a progress report on the fog light reburbishment:
This was the condition of both of the fog light assemblies. The lights themselves disintegrated into chuncky dust, the brackets were structurally sound but rough looking and the light housings were in decent shape but the paint was bad. I ran across some Naval Jelly that was still packed in a box (we bought a house in August and I still have things in boxes) and gave it a try. As advertised it dissolved the rust. It took several applications but was a very low impact work out. Brush on...have a beer and watch TV...rinse and reapply. After most of the rust was gone, I used a Dremel tool and a variety of attachments to remove the rest. Here'* how one side came out:
Not bad. I'm not going to worry about the pitting that has occurred because it'* minor and I'm not building a show car. Perhaps a couple extra layers of sandable primer will hide it more.