We have a 2000 SSEi that we like so much that we bought a 2005 GXP. So I drive them both every week and get to compare a lot. Here are the differences I've noted.
Pluses fo the GXP
- The exhaust note is super, I am totally addicted to it
- The engine idles much smoother
- Heat and Traction Control switch location don't get dirt in the switches
- Cup holder holds bigger cups
- There is an ammeter
- Floor trim near front seats covers the exposed metal tracks
- Headrests are much better, I hated the loops
- Lower profile, wider tires improve handling
- Better brakes
- Rimless wheels, i.e.strip weights
- Radio, Monsoon is better than the Bose, not near the reverberation for back seat passengers
Plus or minus depending on your taste
- Styling, I prefer the simpler lines of the GXP
- White instruments, I prefer the black instrument background of the SSEi
- Faux suede seats, not sure which I like best
- Carbon fiber look vents, actually, I prefer the SSEi'*
- Aluminum trim in shifter, handles, I like the looks but worry about scratches. Haven't had any yet, but I will be upset when the first one appears.
- Smooth surface areas on steering wheel... I like
Pluses for the SSEi
- Acceleration, at this point it is faster than the GXP. However, as the last poster pointed out, my GXP has less than 4,000 miles and doesn't have Mobil One oil in her crankcase yet.
- Miles per Gallon, 75 mph, 300 mile runs, 27 for the SSEi, 22 for the GXP... yikes. But the same "However" from above applies here
- The cupholder cover on the SSEi looks classier
- No gas door lock on the GXP
- The white courtesy light on each door (that actually lit the ground as you stepped out) somehow became another red reflector on the GXP
- The dash storage disappeared on the GXP to make room for the seat heat switches
- Both overhead sunglass storage compartments disappeared on the GXP. I wanted the Homelink and it was no longer offered on the non-sunroof models
- The front floormats on the SSEi say "SSEi"
I suspect that some of the cosmetic changes had already happened by 2002.
Both are great machines and a blast to drive.