Guidelines for posting mechanical problems
We have a limited amount of gearheads and knowledgeable members, and it'* very difficult to diagnose a problem on a car that is hundreds or thousands of miles away. Please keep all postings PUBLIC (not on email, PM, or IM) so that other members can benefit from the knowledge. Please follow these guidlines for posting mechanical problems:
1. Put your year and trim level/model in your signature before you post. If you own more than one Bonneville, state clearly which one it is.
2. Post these problems in the proper forums. They may not be found by the people who can help if you post them in the Lounge, General Chat, or the wrong mechanical forum.
3. Give a FULL description of the problem, what conditions it occurs in, and what you've done so far.
4. Never underestimate the value of a full tuneup.
5. If you are posting about a problem you've been working on, keep us FULLY updated on what you've tried since your last posting.
6. Have patience if you don't get an immediate reply.
7. Pull PCM codes as soon as possible, preferably before posting your problem. This is invaluable, and we need this information.
8. Buy a maintenance manual. We can't detail every procedure you may need.
9. Use a descriptive topic title for the problem. Titles like "Big Problem" or "ARghhh!" should be avoided.