Originally Posted by 1994SSEi
So here'* what I guess I need.
1. What color is the ground wire and where in the wire bundle is it?
2. If I have to get a used cluster, anyone know a reliable place to get one?
I don't think you're going to find just one ground wire back there; I think there are multiple ground paths. It'* hard to say where your problem specifically is, except that since you've apparently knocked out even more circuits now, you must be on the right track.
A couple of things here:
1) Are you sure that you properly reinserted both wiring harness plugs where they go into the back of the cluster? The fact that you have even less working than before, especially all the dead gauges, suggests that a multi-wire plug is loose, since there are very few places where several unrelated circuits come together.
2) When you had the dash cluster out, did you follow through and actually dismantle the individual boards? Unplugging and re-plugging the circuit-board connectors is needed, not just doing an R&R of the gauge cluster as a whole.
3) Is it possible that you didn't get something back together properly? For example, each gauge has four pins that must clip into the circuit board behind it in order to operate. Maybe one or more are not in properly, or a ribbon connector from one board to another got overlooked during reassembly.
I would suggest retracing your steps one more time (all the way through the procedure of removal, disassembly and reassembly) before looking for a junkyard replacement.