On my Buick LeSabre. I've been wanting to do this for a while, and I finally got started on it the other day.
Here'* the details and progress thus far. I hope that by posting this as my first attempt (hopefully successful) at a retrofit will help someone with theirs in the future!
I chose Audi A6 D2S single xenon Hella units. The price was right and the output is good enough for me.
So yesterday I cracked open my headlights, after a couple of days of thinking and planning and whatnot. Most of my plans were useless though, as my headlights were completely different than expected!
Here'* what I know for sure.
I will have two identical appearing projectors in each headlight, one for the high beam and one for the low beam. The high beam will be a halogen Audi A6 H1 unit, the lens looks identical to the HID version, but the bowls are different. With the same shroud on each, they will look the same.
They will be mounted directly to the housing on the top and bottom for both. I have nothing to mount them to at the rear!
I will be using my aftermarket Xentec ballasts with adapter cables to D2S from DDM...I have had no trouble with these ballasts...they've been absolutely perfect, so why fix what'* not broken!
However, I will be using OE quality bulbs...most agree (even on HIDPlanet!) that a ballast is a ballast, if you have a good kit one there is no need to replace it...but bulbs are a different story! No cheap kit bulbs for this one, I want years of good output...
I guess that'* it. I'm trying to do this retrofit on a budget, and I've done nearly all the buying I need to I HOPE! All I need left is shrouds...and maybe some clear lenses if I decide I want to do that.
Here'* the progress I've made so far. I'm going to work one headlight at a time.
Smells yummy :3
Test fit from last night. Imagine two of those side by side, that'* about how it will look.
I bought those halogen Audi A6'* I mentioned earlier. Also shaved down my projector from the above pic to make it fit better...it'* REALLY tight in there.
I made a prototype mounting strategy for one of the A6'*.
In place. Not bolted down, just resting in there. It'* REALLY tight, but I have enough range of motion that I feel I can aim it adequately.
My slider mounts on the top. These will allow me to move it up and down.
Bottom mounts. I need to notch these out and make them slider mounts too so I can have left and right motion.
I don't think I'll be able to make much further progress until my bulbs and adapters get here...bulbs are due on the 16th, but I haven't heard a word from DDM about the adapters. Hopefully they are on their way. Ordered on the 10th.