Peterg made some awesome tails back a month ago using the flouresent tube light covers in place for the amber. I thought it looked great and tried it out for myself. I got myself a Craftsman 9.6V 75-peice rotary tool for $49 (on sale from $129), bought some new flouresent covers, the old ones in my garage were too damn brittle and needed lots of preheating prior to work. Fresh one was flexible as hell. Ok, so I started with the front corners and here they are:
FLOURESENT CUT AND CURVED (oven toaster for 30 seconds and bend)
Now here are my rears, they took me a little while because I slowly cut the amber out with my rotary tool and the batteries kept running out. The plastic is THICK! Anyways, I left the black border when I cut the amber so I could match the exact curves with the flouresent covers. I then used half a paper clip to make smaller clips that would hold the floursent cover to where the amber used to be. Here are the shots I took with my Chocolate phone, not bad for a 1.3MP camera phone, I resized to 25% from 1290 x 680:
OVEN HEATED AND LIGHTLY WEDGED APART
IN THE GARAGE WITH MY FLOURESENT PEICES CUT OUT, PREP FOR AMBER REMOVAL
QUICK BEFORE SHOT
AND THE FINISHED PRODUCT
I removed the old rubber bead from the factory around the tails and put some of my own adhesive sealent, its stuck on tight now, but I have to make sure when I do my other light to use LOTS more, the factory used tons of that stuff!