During the repairs, I figured out how they were made. It was done with two
seperate molds. One mold for the large piece with a depression in it around a
rectangular opening where the pillare piece dropped in. Then it was assembled
with resin. Two seperate molds. In this series of repair pics, you can see where
one 'corner' of the pod section actually lifted out of the pocket. In addition, you can
see in the early pics where the mold was injected, as DP never had those holes
filled. I did that too as well. The biggest problem though was that the holes for
the gauges were drilled too large, and the gauges simply fell right through. John
sent it to me orignally for me to make seperate flanges to adapt the gauges to
the over-drilled pod.
That wasn't practical after all, despite it sounding like the best option. So the fiberglass work began:
Taped a 'dam' over the front face of the overly large holes, and cut
two pieces of glass matting (two different types at opposing angles)
and laid them in, pressing them down into the original holes, then resined
them in from the back.:
And a comparison to the Zilla'* original pod (this is the pod that used to
have a custom-shaped 2-pod universal attached to it). jr's3800 now owns
the pod that used to be on this pillar trim:
This is after using resin on the front after tape removal to fill in any gaps
left from the steps above:
In these pics, you can see the two 'spots' at the top and bottom they used
to inject the resin into the mold when they made the main body. Here you
can see the resin filling the holes, and final sanding beginning:
First coat of primer/sealer to show the blemishes. After this coat, a coat
of textured 'chip coat' was used simply to give the piece a textured look similar
to the original trim:
Here you can see the corner of the 'pod insert' and get an idea of how they
made it. This started lifting during final painting, as it wasn't properly attached.
Another minor flaw I found before the final coat of SEM 'Saddle Tan' paint.
This paint is specifically made to be flexible for use on vinly and plastics for
Now this is the finished product from my work:
From this point, it gets tricky. John is going to cut a hole smaller than he needs, then sand
it out to the proper diameter so he doesn't destroy the bond between my patching and the
original hole. It should leave a beautiful pillar pod when done.
Keep in mind this is the only prototype remaining that DP made before they were 'run out of town' for ripping off a few members here. There was alot of frustration revolving
around these pods. The other (20 or so) were destroyed by DP in a fit of anger, leaving only this one.
It'll be good to see it get a life finally.
The only currrent methods for doing this are to make your own universal (like I did some time ago) or contact tripscarcare95, as he is now making them. He uses the universal pods that you can buy (identical to the one I first used) and glasses them into a standard pillar. They come out quite nice. I currently have one in my 93.