I may be crazy...ok...maybe I already know I am.
Got started again and took more pics. I cut the whole back out this time. Used a hacksaw to get most of the cutting done. The dremel w/wheel melts.
It'* only a single layer of plastic. It appears the tail is one big black piece with slices for the light areas and a hole for the backups. I made a gentle cut with this dremel bit
Tried a heat gun to delaminate and pull it up in one quick move. Not happening.... On to continue gently cutting away. Once most of the thickness was cut away I tipped the light up on its edge to see as soon as I touched the red. Super gentle I barely scuffed the surface of the red.
Held up to the light
Kept on going...this takes a while...let'* take a moment to meet the worker.
Don't do this in an area that can't be coated in black plastic the consistency of sand. This bit I used really cuts great and doesn't heat up to melt the plastic. I think thats what caused prototype 1 to look delamed in areas. I wore safetly goggle the whole time..when I carved the majority of the plastic off the top I wore the bag and paper as well. It'* flying everywhere....no matter what you do.
Here'* the end product before painting around the letters on the inside. Clear packing tape over the outside of the light so it doesn't get scratched.