A clean, well detailed engine does a lot to improve a car'* image, and is fairly easy and inexpensive to do. I cleaned the engine with GUNK last week and was impressed with the results, but it'* still not clean enough for me. I want more. Last time, I covered EVERYTHING. The alternator, air filter, ignition coils, battery, every single one of those electric clip connections, etc. I sprayed the degreaser on there, scrubbed the surface with a brush and then rinsed with a spray nozzle on the "mist" setting to avoid putting too much water on the engine. Question is, was all that really necessary? My engine needs a second going over (it'* still got a few dirty spots) and all the things I covered (aside from the filter, which I know needs to be covered absolutely) are still dirty. Do I really need to have them all covered if I'm not dousing them with water?
Once I have that finished, it'* on to dressing up the engine...
Basically, this is what I'm thinking and I'm seeking your input as far as color, type of paint (if applicable), and even if I should bother doing it in the first place.
1. Strut tower brace. What color do you think I should paint it? Is it easy to get off? I don't want to take off the two bolts on each tower and either lose the bolts or have the suspension fall off the car.
2. Radiator cover. Not sure about this one. Paint it or not?
3. Valve covers. I think I can paint these while they're still on the engine, maybe each or every other vertical ridge? What color do you think I should paint these?
4. Ignition coils. Not sure if it'* a good idea to paint these, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I could always buy new ones of the color I want, I guess.
5. Alternator. Would it be possible to paint this while it'* still on the engine? And what color?
6. Spark plug wires. I was recommended to get Belden premium wires from Napa. What color do these come in? Or any color? A lot would revolve around that to determine the rest of the engine bay.
7. Wire looms. I would replace these with whatever colors the spark plug wires are, or if they are black, the strut tower brace.
8. PCM cover. I clearcoated it, but as long as I'm dressing up the rest of the engine bay I might as well do that too.
In reality I want everything to be the same color, but a lot depends on those plug wires. If they're red, then everything in red would look nice. If they're yellow, then those and the looms would be yellow but I'm not sure about the rest. Blue would mean a blue themed engine. Anyway, what color combination do you think would look best with my silver LeSabre?