My girlfriend'* 2001 Impala LS sedan has been in need of new CV joints for quite some time now, but I just got around to replacing them the other day
Here'* the procedure for replacing the CV joints:
1) Remove the front wheel.
2) Remove the stabilizer shaft link.
3) Remove the drive shaft nut.
**Use a puller to press the axle shaft through the hub/bearing assembly**
4) Remove the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
5) Remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
6) Press the axle shaft through the hub.
Note: To prevent damage to the inner CV-joint, do not pull on the axle shaft to remove it from the transaxle.
7) Place a drain pan under the transaxle to catch any transaxle fluid that leaks out when the axle shaft is removed.
Now, remove the axle shaft from the transaxle by prying between the transaxle and the inner CV-joint housing.
*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com
1) Install or connect the following:
- Axle shaft in the transaxle. Verify that it is seated by pulling on the housing
- Axle shaft through the hub/bearing assembly
- Ball joint and torque the nut to 15 ft. lbs. (22 Nm) plus 120 degrees
- Tie rod end and torque the nut to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) plus an additional 120 degree turn
- New drive shaft nut and torque it to 118 ft. lbs. (160 Nm)
- Stabilizer shaft link and torque the nut to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm)
- Front wheel
2) Check the transaxle fluid level.
3) Check the front alignment and adjust, if necessary.