Update:Finally got around to attempting to remove instrument cluster. got all the trim off and removed the 4 screws holding the cluster to the frame. Just as soon as I grasped the cluster to remove it began to work. (switch was on so I could pull gear down out of park). I went ahead and pulled the cluster from the plug but was having difficulty getting it to clear dash and steering column. It was getting dark so I just pushed back into the plugs and left until next day.
Next day it was still working so I decided to put the screws back in that support the cluster and just drive around for a few days and see what happened. after a week everything still looking good.
I put everything back together and have been driving it ever since with no problem.
I'm wondering if some oxidation had built up on the plug and when it was moved it made a better connection. That may sound crazy but every now and then when my riding mower won't start after the winter I just unplug the safety switch under the seat and then just plug in again and its good to go.
I guess I'll just how it goes for a while.
Thanks again to all.
Last edited by parker2129; 12-17-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Reason: left out something