Well...I figured out what the problem was...sort of. After cleaning all of the power and ground leads and surfaces, I discovered the main power lead that goes to the fuse panel on the drivers fender is not making a solid connection.
I took the lead off and cleaned it and inadvertently bent the little plate on the side of the panel. What do you know, the dash board lights right up and the car fired on the first try. Unbelievable really, considering how much time I spent chasing this problem through normal diagnostic testing. It took me bending and or pushing down on the panel to fix the problem.
At this point I'm just going to replace the whole fuse panel and hopefully that will keep it in good running order for a while. Moral of the story is, poke and prod at things before taking anything apart.
Thanks for all the help guys!