Steerring Wheel Controls FIXED !!!!!
Well, there'* another iron out of the fire. Got my steering wheel radio controls fixed using the "WD-40 spray tube" method. I remember seeing this method posted somewhere, but I couldn't find it on this forum when I did a search. I figured the stiff plastic tubing would stand up over time better than putting JB Weld on the existing rubber pins, and I didn't relish the idea of sticking toothpicks in the controls.
Anyway, for those who would opt for this method, here'* the scoop: (See the Techinfo section on how to get the switch assembly off the steering wheel, and how to get it apart).
Heat up an end of the spray tube with a lighter or other heat source, then press it flat against something to spread the end of the tube out to approximately the size of the big end of the rubber pins. Then, cut it off about 1/4 inch past the flared portion of the tube (a bit too long is better than too short). You can use the length of the existing rubber pins as a guide, but the ones you make will need to be just a bit longer (hence the 1/4 inch rule of thumb). Then repeat this process 7 more times, for a total of 8 pins. When you take the control assembly switch housings apart, remove the rubber pins and replace them with the plastic pins you've just made. Carefully put the switch housing back together by hand, checking to make sure that you can work the switches and that they aren't compressed when the two sections of the housing are put together (you should be able to press a button and feel the switch 'click' as you press it). If necessary, trim the length of any pins until all the buttons operate and release the appropriate switches. Then, just put it all back together. Voila! You've just got those pesky radio controls functional again, and now they're better than new !!!
Any Q'*, feel free to PM me or ask the board, I'm sure someone will speak up with any needed helpful hints.
BTW ... While it'* apart (before you put it back together), you might check the micro-switches themselves to make sure they click when they're pressed. A couple of the switches on mine didn't appear to move when I pressed them by hand, but they still worked allright once I put it all back together. I guessing these just had a bad internal spring and didn't click when pressed. Anyway, checking the switches will help keep you from thinking that the pins are too long (from the lack of clicking), and trimming the pins until you cut them too short for them to work. If you do trim them too short, you still have the rest of the spray tube to make more pins with. I got enough pins for two control assemblies out of one spray tube. Hope this is helpful to someone.