Originally Posted by 04se
I recently put in a new head unit, and finding the right interface was a problem. I was told the same thing by a couple of different places. In fact a few places said they couldn't do it all together. The problem is that the interface is brand new that will work with 2000+ Bonnevilles and most places don't have the new Metra catalog. The one place I did find the adapter was www.lafayetteradio.com
. I don't have onstar, so the right adapter was the gmrc-04. In addition if you call metra directly they will tell you the correct one.
The adapter works great, and I still have the retainted acc. power and dooe chimes. Although the door chimes are a bit loud. It is a pretty tight fit with an aftermarket radio, however I was able to make it work without cutting behind the radio or having it stick out beyond the opening more than the factory one did. The only thing I paid to have done was the front door speakers, which they did last week. However they did such a crappy job that I had to fix half of the things myself, and one side doesnt' work. Learn how to solder and you'll have a great connection for all the hookups that won't come apart.
sorry to bring this back from the grave, BUT you said you do not have onstar and that you used the GMRC-4 adapter. However, I had thought the GMRC-02 is for non onstar and that the GMRC-4 is for onstar equipped vehicles.
Specs for GMRC-4
* Retains all communication with vehicle'* Class 11 data bus system
* Retains factory OnStar system
* Allows use of factory chime system-chime continues to come from
factory front speaker location
* Used data to communicate and control of aftermarket radio (if so equipped)
* OnStar voice volume also controlled with factory steering wheel volume control (if so equipped)
* 10 amp 12-volt switched power controlled by factory car computer
* Works with most General Motors Premium Sound System,
Including Bose and Monsoon
Specs for GMRC-2 Adapter:
Retains all communication with the vehicle'* Class 2 data bus system.
Allows use of factory chime system-chime continues to come from factory front speaker location.
Supplies 10 amp 12-volt switched power controlled by the factory car computer.