Originally Posted by 94_SSEi
i have heard about a lot of members talking about installing carputers in there cars, but have yet to see one.
I have a few questions
1. What is the best GPS Software to run with Windows XP
2. What is the best Jukebox / Audio Player program?
3. Best DVD Player program?
4. What is the easiest way to power the computer? (Power inverter?)
5. Is there anyway to get regular radio threw your computer or no? If no what are some other options for radio?
6. I also want a 22" lcd monitor to flip down , what would be the best way to mount it?
7. I am getting a 7-10" touch screen and i want to know if there is a program out there that would have like 6 or 8 buttons that i could preset to open up scertain programs when i press them. Kind of like a Carputer Interface?
1) iGuidance, hands down. its expensive but totally worth it and interfaces to RoadRunner (see below) and is touch screen friendly. Its made for pocketPC'* but has a UMPC version (ultra mobile PC for the bigger screens)
2,3,7. Roadrunner (found on the mp3car.com forums) is a "front end" program It uses winamp and powerDVD to do all your music playing and a TON of other functions all wrapped up in a neat little package to make it perfect for touch screen usage.
4) m2-ATX is the power supply i used. Unlike the PicoPSU it can actually power a computer from LESS than 12v (when your power dips or turn off your car) and gives you 160W to work with.
5) Yes they have FM tuners available that will interface to RoadRunner too.
6) I would NOT reccomend such an expensive monitor in your car. It will take up ALLL your headroom and will die quickly with the extreme temperatures. But if you must, mount it on the roof directly to the crossbeams.. thats a lot of weight up there.
browse mp3car.com forums. They are unbelievably helpful, but set aside alot of time, there is a TONNNN of info there to sort through and you will get shot down FAST if you ask a question that a million people before you have already asked.
from most recent to oldest: http://www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum/...589&highlight=
My most recent undocumented changes are:
-Changed USB soundcard to a soundblaster X-Fi and will go straight into the amps
Biggest thing that you would never think to worry about and may never have to:
Radio Frequency Sheilding. Everytime i drive by a strong RF source (commercial tv/radio tower or I transmit on high on my ham-radio) my comptuer will turn on and off at will. I think this is a quirk directly related to my motherboard because it acts as if you actually hit the power button repeatedly (not a immediate off, it shuts down first)