OK! Great news, and better news!
So I spend a couple hours in my lab today working on the tape playing spare stereo I acquired last week. Got it all taken apart, first step was to get it power, make sure it worked properly:
Bench setup: Function generator, full DC power supply and integrated speaker for my testing needs; digital oscillioscope; and a couple comps :P
YAY the stereo worked the first try!
This is the wiring required to get it on, and get an audio output from it, just one channel though:
So once I had audio playing off a tape and through the amps and to my test speaker I started probing the interface bus with the scope to find the line signals, this was rediculously simple, I found them first try:
So now that I've found those line level interface lines, I needed to figure out what their correpsonding ground lines were, again first guess I found the right ones.
So now came hooking up my pod to see if I can play some music through the stereo!!!
All the wires I had to cut:
Pod amped output, hooked up to the stereo'* new aux input:
The tape I had to go and buy for $0.99 cause I don't have any!!!
SO! In conclusion of this post, the MOST important part has been accomplished it IS possible to do this and sounds pretty damn good.
I'm currently waiting on some circuit parts and some special wiring before I can permanently integrate an aux in!
I'm going to be going home to see my car on thanksgiving, so expect to see a FINISHED WORKING aux input on a stock Bonneville headunit around that time! (For you Americans that'* in 2 weeks from now)