Update: 2001 SSEi Coolant Leak
I wrote: <
Funny thing is:
1. No antifreeze smell inside or outside.
2. No external leaks of oil or fluid anywhere on engine.
3. No foaming evident on dispstick (oil looks very clean and uh "oily".
4. It'* been cold and I've noticed a fair amount of clear condensation on underside of oil fill cap (yes I "sampled it". It tastes sweel but is clear like condensate.
5. After about an 11 mile run consensate is apparent. Thirty-forth mile runs evaporate the condensate.
6. Engine temp runs normal at 200 deg F. No overheating.
7. Acceleration is strong and idle is smooth.
8. No noticeable "steam" from tail pipes.
One week ago I refilled reservoir tank and marked locations of fluid when hot and when cold. After 1 week of driving I've noticed about 1/8" drop in fluid level.
Am I being anal? Should I be concerned? I'm hating like heck to tear the SC off.>>
Update: I kept losing about 1/2" of coolant for another 2 weeks. Dreaded taking the top off (getting over the flu and all). Finally popped in an 8.5 oz. container of Aluminum Bar'* Stop Leak. I've used this product before with excellent (read "permanent" results). I almost used the "factory installed" dark brown organic variety but I didn't want my overflow container all stained. Result is I have used no coolant since about 20 minutes after installing it. Amazing... the coolant is still a nice pink color and very clean. I really can't find a trace of the suspended aluminum powder particulates. If she ever starts to leak again, with no sign of external leakage, I will pull the top off. Until then I am very satisfied with the product. I did much research before I purchased. I'm sure the coolant was slowly leaking into the oil; probably evaporating off. Since then all condensation on the inside of oil fill cap has ceased too.
2001 SSEi- black; stock 92K
1995 Vette; Competition Yellow; stock; 38K