Folks, I finally took the time yesterday to take a look at my fuel gauge. Every since I had purchased the car, the thing has acted funky once it gets down to about half way. I've read about the problem on this forum, so I kind of knew about the fuel pump/gauge replacement process. Here'* what I did.
1st I purged the fuel pressure by removing the engine cover, and taking a rag, I pressed on the fuel rail relief valve (you need to unscrew the cap first). I use the rag to let the fuel soak into it. Please make sure the engine is cool
2nd, I remove the screws that hold the cover where the fuel pump resides. This is under the trunk floor mat. It is towards the back right side of the trunk. Once here take special care to remove all grit and grim from the area. I first tried to vacuum it, then blew out all the dirt with my air compressor. Next I needed to remove the retainer ring that holds the pump in place. It is held in place by about five or six steel pieces that need to be pryed up a bit. Once you do this I used a straight blade screw driver and a hammer to knock the retainer ring about 3/4" counter clockwise until it is free from the steel pieces. You then need to remove two electrical connectors and the two fuel lines. Have a rag handy again to catch the fuel that will splill. There is still some pressure there also, so watch the ol trouble light. The fuel canister/pump is now ready to come out. Take your time because it is pretty long, pulse a filter and the fuel gadge level needs to come out with it. You need to give it a bit of a twist to get it out. Keep plenty of rags around cause the the thing will be full of fuel.
Once out, you will now see the fuel level sensor unit. It looks like two speedo gauges on a white circuit board. There are two mettle "legs" that make contact with the white ceramic board with the two "speedo'*" on it. I took my contact cleaner and cleaned up all the contacts, then I carfully rebent the little legs.
I have no idea if I actually fixed anything yet as my tank was pretty full. I'll update after Christmas to let everyone know if I fixed anything. I figured if nothing else, I now know it is pretty easy to remove this assembley