Sorry, I have not replaced mine so, I can't much help you there. The instructions that I have for removing it aren't very helpful, either. It says:
1. Remove the IP compartment.
2. Remove the electrical connector from the passenger air mix actuator.
3. Remove the passenger air mix actuator retaining screws.
4. Remove the passenger air mix actuator.
1. Install the passenger air mix actuator. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
2. Install the passenger air mix retaining screws. Tighten Tighten the fasteners to 1.4 N.m (12 lb in) .
3. Install the electrical connector to the passenger air mix actuator.
4. Install the IP compartment.
I don't know if the "IP compartment" they refer to is the glove box or not. The instructions for the drivers side is much more detailed, but from your post it sounds like you have a problem on the passenger side. You may want to try removing the passenger side hush panel then poke your head up there and see if you can view more. I haven't been in the passenger side dash area yet so, I don't know what may be accessible from there.
Black 2000 SSEi, Silverstar Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, drilled 180 degree thermostat, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, and 3.4 Pulley. Solid front mount.