Toast, this is right out of the book for replacement of the Crankshaft Position Sensor. (CKP)
1. Disconnect neg. battery cable.
2. Raise vehicle on a hoist.
3. Remove right inner fender access cover.
4. Remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer.
5. Remove the crankshaft position sensor shield. Do Notuse a pry bar.
6. Disconnect the sensor electrical connector.
7. Remove the 2 attaching bolts from the CKP sensor.
8. Remove the CKP sensor from the block face.
When reinstalling the CKP sensor onto the block, torque bolts to 22 lb ft.
It looks like the harmonic balancer has to be removed. I think labor rates, flat rate are like $80/hr. I'd buy the puller for $12.99. I don't think any of this procedure would be differnt from 00 to 01. Also, they don't mention it in the procedure but you'll probably have to remove the right front wheel.
2003 SSEi, Light Bronzemist Metallic - All Stock For Now
IBEW Local 261 Groton, CT
My other vehicle is a nuclear submarine.