Some background that may or may not be related.
1) Shortly before my problems began, I recall coming down over an overpass that had a sharp transition from downhill to flat road and I felt a bit of a beating on the front end. That night, or the next, I recall hearing a suspicious sound (like steel snapping) when stopping the car in my driveway. I never heard it again since.
2) A day or two later, I recognized another sound that I eventually diagnosed as a bad passenger side bearing, but not before replacing the driver'* side 1/2 shaft.
3) After the 1/2 shaft install, I was leaking trans fluid.
4) I brought the car to a trans specialist who decided that I had bumped the seal while installing the 1/2 shaft. He replaced the seal and did a needed fluid purge, filter and gasket replacement.
5) The next day, fluid is still leaking.
6) I brought the car back to the trans shop where they decided the problem was not the seal, but rather an internal issue and they would have to disassemble the trans to find out what that was.
7) I agree that the leak is from the seal or nearby. Fluid is accumulating just under the driver'* side seal behind a metal shield.
The trans specialist could not explain what he expects to find and I am afraid that he is guessing. The best he could describe is that something supporting the output shaft may have broken. The cost to open the trans and put it back together is $750 and the cost of repairs beyond that are TBD
. Could my incident in #1 above damaged the trans as well as the front wheel bearing? I feel absolutely no symptoms to indicate trans problems. Can anyone explain what internal issue would cause this leak if the seal is properly installed?
9) Another possibility is that I cracked the trans housing while prying out the 1/2 shaft. A metal shield prevents me from seeing that easily. Does anyone have experience to know if that shield can be removed enough to see the housing without first removing the 1/2 shaft again? Is there a housing side cover on the driver'* side that can be replaced if it is cracked? Anyone have a diagram of this side of the transmission?