1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
3. Remove the torque converter cover.
4. Remove the transmission cooler line clip from the transmission.
5. Disconnect the starter motor wiring.
6. Remove the starter motor mounting bolt closest to the oil pan.
7. Loosen the remaining starter bolt and remove the starter from the vehicle.
NOTE: Before installing the starter motor to the engine, secure the electrical terminals by tightening the nuts next to the cap on the solenoid battery terminal and on the SD-255 * terminal. If these terminals are not tight in the solenoid cap, the cap may be damaged during installation of the electrical connections and cause the starter to tail later.
1. Transfer the starter bolt from the old starter if replacement is necessary. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice In Service Precautions.
2. Position and install the starter motor mounting bolts. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 43 N.m (32 lb ft) .
3. Connect the starter motor BAT terminal wire. Tighten Tighten the BAT terminal nut to 16 N.m (12 lb ft) .
4. Connect the starter motor * terminal wire.
Tighten the * terminal nut to 2.5 N.m (22 lb in) .
5. Install the torque converter cover.
6. Install the transmission oil cooler clip.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Connect the negative battery cable.
Copyright © 2005 ALLDATA LLC
Black 2000 SSEi, Silverstar Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, drilled 180 degree thermostat, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, and 3.4 Pulley. Solid front mount.