I follow the same idea as presented for the rear regulator. I used scraps around the garage - had 2" wide (3/16") bar stock. Cut a 3/8" strip - ending up with 3/8" wide x 2". Made (2) 90 degree bends - formed a 'U' shape. On each end I used a cutoff wheel and slit the ends about 1/4" up - allowing the cable to fit into the cutoff wheel slot. I placed the U shaped metal into position - nice tight fit. In the photo, my handy work on shaping the U is a little crude due to excess thickness of the metal involved - but it worked first time, so I left it.
I cut a 3/8" piece of (plastic) delrin (3/8" - thickness) to match the length required for the damaged slide gate opening; and rounded the end on the grinder to match the opening. Slide it into place - again - tight fit. The other end of the slide needed a small plastic piece simply rounded - again to match damaged opening.
Everything seemed very secure.
I purchased a new tube of Auto Goop and applied over the top of the inserted plastic pieces, as well as the formed bracket.
I would say it took 15 minutes to complete the U shaped bracket, plus the plastic parts.
I noticed that the last photo of the finished piece is blurry - sorry! I will take another shot in the morning after the Goop is dried. If it is any better - I will submit.
I do not believe that I will have problems but if I do - I will advise!
Thanks for all the assistance and support!