This time I will use links to the pics. Should work.
Will, it'* funny you mention the drains for the sunroof.
And yes, along with pre-shrunk weather stripping, GM should have considered clamping the drain houses to the drain spouts!
Today was fairly successful. I discovered the drain tubes were disconnected from the rear sunroof drain spouts, resulting in water coming down the headliner, past the rear trim by the rear speakers, down the back seat, and into the rear floor pan:
The result is a soaked underpad and soaked rear passenger carpet:
A few short cuts were made today: You can release just the rear of the headliner by removing the rear interior light and holy sh*t handle assembly, removing the back trim by the speakers, the weather stripping from the top of the door, then gently pulling on the headliner to release it from the velcro. This allowed me to re-attach the hoses, and tighten them to the tubes using a gear clamp:
I was also fortunate enough to not have to remove the front seats. I moved the front seats all the way forward, pulled up the carpet to see how far the leak went, and was happy to find it was only in the back of the car:
Notice the start of rust on the floor?
I removed all of the soaked under pad and threw it away. The carpet is only wet up to the front seats:
By raising the front of the car, I was able to check the re-attached drain tubes, and am happy to report the water now drains to the outside of the car, not the inside! This also helped in having the water move all the way to the back of the floor pans so I could soak it up with a towel.
After a quck trip to the car wash, and using the Super Vaccuum, the carpet is now nice and dry.
After removing the back seat, I found the padding under the seat to be ruined as well.
Here we see a turtle coming out of the pond, searching for dry land:
The bottom of the seat is completely soaked. It is now drying on my back patio, the bottom padding is like a sponge.
Onto the weather stripping.
Probably also a source for rain water and wind noise, mine have shrunk pretty bad. After some gentle pulling, this is how the rear door frame looked:
I removed the bottom trim from the threshold and was able to start pulling it up. It was still firmly attached to the top of the door, so I grabbed some black silicone adhesive and applied it to the curves of the door frame and pressed it in. The result is a nice, tight seal. Here it is all fixed up:
You wind up with a gap at the bottom of the door, which indicates just how much mine have shrunk:
This gap will be filled by a splice from the stripping picked up from the local junk yard, and I'll silicone the seams.
Here is another spot that was pretty loose:
I siliconed the heck out of it, and re-applied.
It'* raining out right now. It should be a good test to see if my work today paid off!
Tomorrow shall bring a trip to the carpet store for underpad, and install the splices into the gaps of stripping. Some final re-assembly, and we'll hopefully be off and running.
I will be sure to post some updated photos as the final assembly comes together.