First you have to disarm the the Air Bag Module in the centre pad.
Air Bag(*) Arming and Disarming: Service and Repair
W/Driver Air Bag Only
The diagnostic energy reserve module (DERM) can maintain voltage to cause a
system deployment for up to ten minutes after the ignition switch is turned off and
the battery is disconnected. Servicing the SIR system during this period may result
in accidental deployment and personal injury.
1. Ensure front wheels are pointed straight ahead.
2. Turn ignition switch to Lock position and remove SIR or AIRBAG fuse.
3. Remove lower left sound insulator. Remove courtesy lamp from sound insulator if
4. Remove connector position assurance (CPA) lock and disconnect yellow two-way SIR harness connector at base of steering column.
Steering Wheel: Service and Repair
Models W/SIR System
1. Disable airbag system as described under MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM
2. Remove module retaining screws from back of steering wheel.
3. Remove module from steering wheel, then disconnect horn contact, by pushing
slightly and twisting counterclockwise.
4. Remove connector position assurance, then disconnect coil assembly connector,
5. Remove steering wheel retaining nut.
6. Using suitable steering wheel puller, remove wheel.
7. Reverse procedure to install.
8. Rearm airbag system as described under MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM
You might not have to remove the whole steering though to get to the switches.