Okay, here'* the deal. I can now answer my own question, with some assistance from BIG POPPA and the maintenance manual. The front oil seal can be replaced rather easily.
For future reference and without getting to detailed:
1. Remove right front tire and plastic wheel well shroud
2. Remove serpentine belts
3. Using puller, remove harmonic balancer
4. I used a painters' tool and hammer to get underneath and pry up the edge
of the oil seal lip
5. Using vice-grips, pull out seal.
6. Install new oil seal and reassemble. ( I reshaped the old seal after pulling it out
and inverted it to be used for banging the new seal in place.
It'* possible one may also have to remove some pulleys or the torque-axis mount
but that is all minor stuff.
The main thing is that it can be done in one'* driveway without extreme difficulty.