I changed out my back brakes last week. Pain in the a**. Only time I ever saw brakes with a big ole U-shaped spring like these. That was fun. The trick, I found, was to remove the monster spring first, the leading edge shoe, then the smaller return spring and the adjuster. With all that out of the way, the trailing shoe, clean it up, reverse the process, and you're good to go.
Even more fun was changing out the leaking wheel cylinders. Well, one side was leaking, so I figured to swap them both out. GM threw me a real curve ball, one I'd never seen before on ANY car. RIght side has 10mm hexhead bolts holding the wheel cylinders in place. Left side had E-8 Torx heads. Quick trip to the store to buy an E-8 socket. Home again, home again. E-8 socket will NOT turn and there'* no way to get a socket extension in place to move it without removing the whole assembly. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Of course, the arc joint pliers I wanted to use were nowhere to be found, and my son got sidetracked when I sent him in to look for them. I was ten once. That gave me a chance to check out other options.
Note for future reference: A 12-point 1/4" wrench will fit AND turn an E-8 bolt.
Fairly straightforward process. Bleeding brakes is still a PITA. See the second sentence for explanation.
Had I been able to find our digital camera, I'd have posted pictures for you.
Have a great day. Stay safe, and may God bless. I wish you peace.