Thanks for the advise.
On another note that I wanted to share with the group. The noise goes away on the highway (at least is reduced) around 100Km. But the noise is very much noticable on lower speeds below 3rd gear. I took it to a local transmission place and he thinks it might be the harmonic balancer?? Took it to a second mechnic and he thinks it the rod bearings by the noise. Could it be the harmonic balancer?
Recap the symptoms:
1. Oil pressure when cold is around 275.
2. Oil pressure during idle 1000-1500 hot is just above the red line.
3. Oil pressure during speed 60-100K (2000 RPM) is about 275. Drops dramically when coming down to a complete stop (just above the red).
4. The noise is not noticable when cold. When you rev the engine 2000 you can hear the knock.
5. After 3rd gear the frequency of the knock is reduced.
6. Car had a check engine light when overpassing (red lined RPM).
7. Engine light off - Scanner indicated a knock sensor as indicated in the above post.
8. Car has a history of engine failures. This is the second engine due to UIM problems.
9. This is the second UIM replaced.
10. The front end always vibrated - just added this in case something might be causing the noise.
I beleive that the engine has failed but I dont want to pull the engine unless I am totally certain that this is the problem. When you drop the oil pan what should be visible. Should i see metal. I hestitate because i dont trust mechnics anymore. There are good ones but not were i am located. GM Dealerships are even worst. At least the experience i have had. This is my second bonneville (1990 and 9
and both are draining my wallet. At first i thought I had a lemon but what worries me is that they come in threes and two is enough. Convince me this is not the case.....
Appreciate your responses and let me know if any one wants parts for a 98. If it is a engine issue then I dumping the car..... Not worth the pain and stress knowing that there might be a third incident awaiting....