Keep in mind this could be missing something and no one takes responsibility for problems, etc etc. This info was originally done by me for another guy then modified for another friend with a 2000+
Out the top:
- obtain 4 foot extension
- drain oil
- drain coolant
- Have oil absorbent on hand 40lbs bag at parts store is usually $5
- obtain cherry picker and some chain
1. Unhook battery
2. Disconnect intake hose, airbox and remove, drain and disconnect coolant hoses.
3. Start on top of car disconnecting all electrical to the motor only. Leave PCM/trans intact.
Injectors,Map, Maf, IAC, TP, alt, grounds go to engine, near by coil pack (do not disconnect crank and cam sensors or coil connector., that stays), evap.
4. Unhook fuel lines to rail, tuck under wiper arm.
5. Remove Alternator and it'* tensioner bracket assembly and bracket to SC from alt. 10mm, 13mm, 15mm
6. 1992-1999 only remove 7 10mm bolts holding in fans.
7. Jack car, remove passenger tire. Crawl under front unhook electrical from starter, ac, knock sensor and oil level sensor. 8mm, 13mm, 19mm and pick
8. Remove flex shield, starter, and remove starter, unbolt flex to TC bolts through hole for starter. Rotate crank by HB bolt as needed. 10mm, 15mm, 18mm, 27mm
9. Unbolt The AC Compressor, lay it on front subframe 15mm
10. Undo wire look clipped to ps pump. (easier before you unbolt pump) Unbolt the Power steering Pump, tie it up (through hole in pulley) to something up top for better room at oil pressure sensor etc. 13mm, zip ties
11. Disconnect oil press, VSS, ground if applicable, rear knock sensor (KS has a pig tail that should be a single wire connector near the oil press wires, not at the KS sensor). Remove oil press sens.
12 Remove trans to engine bracket 13mm
13. Remove reverse trans bolt. 18mm, 4 feet of extension
13a. 92-99 only. Looking up at passenger side engine bracket to body locate and loosen (do not attempt to remove) 2 15mm bolts. These are the two on the bottom of the bracket, the bracket slides over them.
Under back of motor or from up top.
14. Unbolt the 2 15mm bolts holding the downpipe to the rear exhaust manifold.
15. Remove fuel rail and SC. 10mm, 13mm
16. Unbolt 2 of the 4 engine to transmission bolts and break the other two free. 18mm
16a. Put passenger tire back on and lower to ground.
17, Bolt chain to the engine lift mounts on the passenger rear and front driverside of the motor.
18 2000+ only: Put floor jack on front subframe at center of car.
19. Position hoist and hook to chain (using jack to lift car slightly for hoist to slide under) Putting very light pressure on the chain to relieve pressure on the passnger side mount.
20. Unbolt the main bolt on the passenger side mount between engine and body mounts. Lower motor about 1-2 inches with hoist.
22. Standing next to passenger side fender look straight down at body side of passenger motor mount. Remove 2 15mm bolts holding the mount to the body. Wiggle body side mount out.
23. Unlatch hood struts so hood can go farther up. Pool stick/broom handle is a great support.
24. Remove last two engine to trans bolts. 18mm
25 Level motor better and pull/wiggle to passenger side in order to separate from trans..(too much jacking or pressure will make this hard.)
26. Guide motor slowly out of engine bay checking for stragler wires or items..
27. 2000+ only: Jack car slightly to slide lift out from under subframe.
28. Put motor on garage floor.
Things to have on hand.
Oil absorb in the 40lbs bag
Have a few beers..you earned it.
00 Regal GS: All kinds of cool stuff.
Last edited by BillBoost37; 03-05-2009 at 09:46 PM.