I’ve been battling for over a week now trying to identify and correct a water leak in the “i”. This has proven to be a difficult task as it is easy to see the result of a water leak, but finding the cause is another thing. Nevertheless, I narrowed it down to water entering the door seal channels from the rain guards. The water then would follow the channel to the bottom where 30% or so of the total amount would leak into the interior while the rest would exit as it should. The idea was to eliminate the water from entering the door seal channel in the first place. This is how I did it.
I went to the hardware store and picked this stuff up:
Next, I removed the rain guards and windshield trim and cleaned the area by removing any existing butyl rubber sealant. This was achieved by scraping the majority of it off using the lid of a TB cleaner can of all things (a unused credit card cut squarely at the corners would have been better) and wiping the rest clean with a rag wetted with mineral spirits. The plastic rain guard was also cleaned with a general purpose cleaner and allowed to dry,
Once everything was dry I applied the rope caulk to the B pillar piece first as shown in the pic:
This piece was then installed. The factory means of installation is with two pieces of double sided foam tape. The caulk is more than adequate as a substitute. Next, the caulk was applied to the rain guard.
The calk was allowed to extend beyond the front edge of the rain guard about an inch and a half to allow a mating seal on the windshield trim. The rain guard was then moved into position. A helper would have been a good thing to have as positioning the entire piece without allowing contact with the vehicle is difficult. It is possible doing it solo though. Once the screw holes were lined up, the screws were reinstalled. After this, pressure was applied to rain guard in order to smoosh the calk and achieve a good seal.
The windshield trim received the same type of caulk application and was installed in the same manner as the rain guard. Any excess caulk that oozed out too far was removed by the scraping method.
Now the test! With the primary door seals still removed, I poured a container of water on the roof allowing it to drain into the rain guards. SUCCESS! There was no water flowing into the area where it could enter the channel. The door seals were reinstalled and car got the hose treatment for a solid 5 minutes without a drop going into the interior. This included simulating a general rain as well as a hard downpour directly into the rain guards.
It is amazing how easily water entered the vehicle prior to the addition of the rope caulk. I might suggest that all owners of the 92-99 body style check their carpet padding for excessive wetness and take the appropriate steps to correct before major damage or rusting occurs.