Okay I am new to the forum! This seems to be the best place on the internet to find help and people knowledgable about L27 3800 engines. So, Monday night I purchased a 1992 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight, it has the 3800 in it and I believe it would be the L27 model. Anyway, one of the problems with the car is that the air conditioning does not work. THe guy who I bought it from told me that he tried to charge the system a few days ago and that did not help at all, So I am thinking it must be the compressor or evaporator maybe. Here is the other thing, when the engine is running a squeeling noise ... high pitched, not SUPER loud but audible and shouldnt be there, comes from the serpentine belt area, It sounds like it is coming from down low, right where the AC compressor is in the belts. So my questions:
1. If I take off the belts will I be able to tell if the compressor is bad by moving the pulley by hand? What else should I look for?
2. It seems like the tensioner is the type that I just loosen the bolt on and then it comes loose, how do I know how much tension to apply to the tensioner when I am reinstalling the belt? Any explanation of the procedure to remove and reinstall the belt would be appreciated? (I know I did an alternator on an 88 buick 3800 once and i just had to force the tensioner down with a pry bar or something while i bolted it back in, is that how its done?)
3. what other diagnosis things should I try to figure out if it is indeed the AC Compressor?
4. If it is the compressor and I decide to get one from the junkyard what can i do "in the field" to give me the best chances of getting one that works, or optimally one with decent life left in it?
5. has anyone R&R'ed the AC Compressor on one of these? Whats the job like, simple bolt work or does it get somewhat complciated?
6. Any other ideas or questions to help me figure out what exactly the squeel is are much appreciated! I am a bit more worried about getting the squeel to go away than having the AC work (both would be nice though)
7. Is it possible to get a shorter belt to just skip the AC compressor in the belt system? I hope I am explaining myself okay, so that instead of going down to the compressor it would just loop around the water pump and then back up to the alternator ? How would I go about finding the right belt for this? (is there "a/c delete belts" available from anywhere?
sorry for the rambling post. thanks all!