A/C Problem - help is appreciated
Hi All..looks like a great forum, hope someone can help.
I just picked up a 97 Bonneville SE with 60K miles. Extremely clean well maintained car. Love the way it rides. The problem I have is the A/C. The previous owner had no problems with it (freind of mine...I believe him). Was working at the end of last season. Heres what is happening:
1. Compressor turns on when the A/C button is pushed
2. Ambient air blows through the vents, no cold air
3. I pushed one of the schrader valves and no freon came out... looks like the system is dry
4. When the a/c button is pushed I hear a sound.. almost like a power steering whining sound inside the passenger cabin. Goes off when the switch is pressed off. I did this also with my head under the hood of the car, but it the sound does not seem to be coming from the engine compartment, but only inside the car.
5. All lines that I could see appear dry
6. I took the black cowl off and ckd the accumulator ( the silver canister) and that looked clean
I was going to purchase a manifold kit today and try putting some freon in, but I think that will not fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions for what it may be? And why is the compressor going on if the system has no freon?
Thank you for any help.