Originally Posted by BillBoost37
It'* good..trust us. Light is at the end of the tunnel but the trip is necessary.
So true, Bill, so true! The end result is worth it!
Here is the write-up I sent to nick to "crack" open the programmer box (without removing it or the dashboard!) so the "connector" can be replaced with vacuum lines:
1. Remove passenger side hush panel (below glove box).
2. On the front (facing the seats) of the HVAC programmer cover/box, there is a bolt/screw about half way up the box. Laying on the floorboard on your back, with a flashlight or the footwell light from the hush panel, you can see the screw on the front of the box by looking up between the box and the backside of the dashboard, underneath the glovebox (see the diagram in the other thread if necessary). The glovebox shouldn't need to be out. Mine was anyways because I was trying all sorts of things. I think the screw is a 10mm. I used a boxend wrench and mainly by feel began to loosen it a turn at a time. I didn't want to take it all the way out because getting it back in would be very difficult. I found out that the box will "open up" enough and the connector will come out without the screw completely removed.
3. As the screw is removed, the box can by pried open with the flat blade of a screwdriver. There are two flat tabs on the box, one below the screw and one above (think of it as kind of like a childs plastic lunchbox sitting upright on one end).
4. Each time the screw is backed out, you can "open" the box a little more. The connector also has a couple of tabs on it that you need to "separate". Everytime I loosened the screw I wiggled the connector and eventually, I wiggled it off/out. It resides in a groove/track in the box that is hard to explain. But once your start wiggling, you'll understand where the catch point is.
5. Once the connector is free from the box, you will be cutting each vacuum line from both sides on the connector and reconnecting the two cut lines back together using new larger vaccum line. I actually brought a piece from the female side of one of the lines (the male side from the box does not have any extra length) with me when I bought the connecting line to make sure I got the right size. Autozone did not have vaccum line small enough so I had to go to NAPA. This is actually the most cumbersome and lengthy part of the process. The lines are tough to shove into the replacement vacuum and doing all five lines took about a half hour of wiggling/shoving. Maybe some wd-40 or other silicone lubricant would help.