Originally Posted by willwren
The first thing to address is the apparent low-voltage. Disconnect your battery from the car, and get it charging from a friend or a battery charger.
Got it. It was fortunately a pretty minor problem. Went to disconnect the battery, but gave the postive terminal a tug prior to unbolting it from the battery. To my surprise it came right off -- including the part that is supposed to stay on the battery!! It looks like the acid had corroded through the battery itself. So I cleaned off the positive and negative terminals, gave the bolts a good scrub with the wire brush, and installed a new battery. Not too surprisingly it started up, though it did crank a little bit longer than I would like the first time. I'll have to keep an eye on that.
At any rate, thanks for the help. I guess since I'm at 63k and it'* the original battery I should have looked to it as the obvious first guess.