Originally Posted by SteelX
any incite would be great.
the drivers side power seat will only move up and down but not backward and forward.
of course i was the last one in it so now my wife who is almost a foot shorter than me cant drive the car.
Well, it'* a few years since this question was raised, but it'* certain people just about everywhere (or any make car) have had the same problem with the power seats. Our Pontiac Aztek stopped moving forward or back, but would move up and down. After researching many posts online, I decided to tackle the project and here'* how I fixed the seat (hoping to avoid paying for a new switch or motor!)
First I removed the four bolts at the bottom, disconnected the electrical connectors and sprayed brake cleaner from every angle I could manage (other solvents and cleaners would work too) on the tracks to remove the dirt and thick grease that was there after 13 years. I let it dry out for 1/2 hour (brake cleaner dries pretty fast) I then re-lubricated the tracks using WD 40 rather than the thick grease that was used by the manufacturer and just collected dust and dirt.
Then I replaced the seat hoping it would work. It didn't. Next step: the switch: I disconnected the elec connectors again along with the seat and then removed the plastic piece on the side that covers up the track seen from the outside (after removing the recline handle and lumbar adjuster large round piece). The switch had a screw that required a "Star pointed" tool (like an Allen wrench or Torx, but different) to remove.
After the screw was out of the center of the switch box, you can pry the edges wider to let the edges of the switch come apart. Take a picture of what you see inside the switch box before you do anything or let anything move! I didn't and it cost me some time to figure out how everything went back together.
The switch appeared to look just fine, but upon closer inspection, one could see discoloration on the contacts which should be really shiny and bright. The metal parts that could be removed from the box (these were "floating contacts" loose pieces of metal that would make contact when the switch was depressed one way or another) and were loose, I soaked in vinegar (dilute acetic acid) and a saturated salt solution for 1/2 hour to remove corrosion; then soaked in baking soda and water solution to prevent any continuing action of the vinegar, and then rinsed, and dried those parts.
The contacts that were on the circuit board looked pretty good, but closer inspection showed the discoloration. I used 220 grit black sandpaper to very lightly polish the surface and remove the corrosion that was there (that'* what the discoloration is).
Once I had removed the corrosion from every contact point on the entire switch, I put everything back (the "floating" contacts/pieces of metal were suspended on plastic pieces with a little dielectric grease ("bulb grease" which I replaced) and the seat worked perfectly!
Boy, was I relieved, having avoided paying the $150 (plus or minus) for a new switch. Nothing really broken with the motor or the switch (as I had feared) except corrosion built up over time. Amazing what a little effort can do, and I'm grateful for the many posts online that gave clues about what I needed to do.
Pontiac Aztek 2002 3.4 V6 AWD