03-21-2008, 12:21 AM
Join Date: Mar 2004
Thanked 0 Times
TAM = Torque Axis Mount
Originally Posted by Echo SSEI
You don't have remove the TAM, only the sleeve at the bottom of the TAM to allow you to slip the belt on/off.
Engine doesn't have to be jacked. The top mount of the TAM will suppot the motor, but getting the sleeve out and back in might require the motor to be lifted ever so slightly so the sleeve can be slipped back in.
Best way to do all this is to:
- Put on the parking brake
- Block the rear wheels (safety first, you know)
- Jack front of Bonne
- Support front using jackstands
- Remove passenger side wheel
- Remove plastic splash shield pins from plastic shield and remove shield (or remove the back two or three and rotate shiled forward out of the way)
- Remove nut and stud from center of TAM sleeve (sometimes the nut and stud come out as one unit and sometimes the nut comes off then the stud), Stud is an external torx but can be removed using a regular socket that fits tightly over the torx head of the stud (may be a 5/32nd...i can't remember exactly)
- Remove metal sleeve, I found for my car that pushing the sleeve up, towards the hood area, from underneath the car, was easier than trying to pull it striaght down and out of the bottom of the car. Also may need to wiggle the sleeve, and eventually ist will come out.
- Slip belt off and past any pullies. (notice belt path so you put it back on correctly)
- Slip new belt on and reverse the above.
Many posts here about the procedure. Type "belt" in the search function and select "92-99l" where it says "Forum" and hit Search for all sorts of info and pics.