Ok, for the western 3/4 of Min, use zone 8. For the east 1/4, use zone 7. Let us know if this is why it didn't work, but I thought it was supposed to remember the last zone, or it might default normally to one. Not sure why yours isn't. It'* something to try anyway.
Here'* the steps for setting the zone:
1. With the engine running, press and hold MODE for more than three seconds. AFter three seconds, CALIBRATE and the heading display will go blank. ZONE and the zone number will be displayed. Release the MODE button.
2. Check the chart to see which zone you are in (seven or eight for you).
3. Press or hold SET until the display shows the number of your zone.
4. Press MODE again to enter your zone in the compass.
1. Point your vehicle to true North.
2. Press and hold MODE until ZONE appears on the display.
3. Press or hold SET until ZONE 00 is displayed.
4. Press MODE. The display will show a northern heading and the direction bars will flash.
5. Press MODE again. The display will show the current zone setting for two seconds, then keep that setting unless you change it.
6. When your engine is running, your compass should display tru north.
Most city streets run east/west or north/south. It'* an easy reference if you're parked parallel to the curb and need to use that as a north reference for the alternate procudure. Or use a handheld compass (away from the car) or a gps if you have one.
Let us know if this works. After setting the zone, try re-calibrating.