Originally Posted by rer747
I have a 1992 Bonneville SSE. The stater seems to be having a hard time starting the car. After the car starts there is a burnt smell coming from around the engine compartment. I checked the battery and had the starter tested. .
Check the wiring for the positive cables at the battery for corrosion and deterioration of the wire inside the plastic. Same for the negaties. Check the cables at the other ends as well. That would be my first suspect.
When you say the starter is acting like it'* not getting full power, that would be my second check after the starter and battery themselves. The only relay in the high amperage part of the system is the solenoid that'* on the starter itself. I assume the starter testing checked that as well.