Update: Well, I finally got the drive train installed in the SLE.
What started out simple just got more and more complicated (and expensive!) I ended up changing the “new” torque converter for the old one that I knew worked OK. (Good idea to keep the old trans!) I also changed the turbine shaft seal (o-ring) under the torque converter, opened the side cases and swapped the PWM and TCC solenoids, and also swapped the vacuum modulator from the old trans to the new one. (Thanks, Matt)
The new trans now shifts right and holds properly in lock-up. YAY!
The only problem is I changed so much stuff that I don't know for sure which component was bad. But my guess is the TC.
The motor got a stainless steel reduced diameter EGR pipe and sleeve machined by a friend (at a loss) for $60, (Thanks, Ranger.)
Also got new lower and upper intake manifold gaskets, pan gasket, MAF cleaning, new rod bearings, knock sensor (separated when undoing it), oil pressure sender, (busted when it got bumped on the way out), gutted air box (thanks for the instructions, Don), lifters meticulously cleaned, (for all the good it did) 180 deg thermosat with 2 1/16" holes, new NGK TR55 plugs, new Belden premium wires, new lifetime water pump, idler pulley, front and rear crank seals, exhaust donut, new blower motor cover, flywheel covers, and heater barrier (now that was tricky!) New o-rings in all the water passages, a new air filter, and a throttle body cleaning. (Do you think it needed it?)
Yeah, I know, I shoulda' done the timing set and the balance shaft bearing, but hey, ya gotta draw the line somewhere! My $700 car now has about $1800 of my money. But I have learned a lot.
Here'* the kicker: Started it up and after it settled down, it was quiet - yay! But then, as the oil warmed up...tick..............tick tick..........tick tick tick tick.......etc. BOO!
I WILL find and destroy that lousy lifter! But not 'til it gets warmer. I'm not in a hurry - the car is running swell and shifting fine.
If I had it to do again, I would buy the EGR kit from KenCo. $80 really is a good deal. And, I would have spent more time identifying the particular offending lifter before I tore the motor down. Of course, it was puking oil all over the driveway.....
Thanks for all the help, guys. We are now a two-Bonneville family.