I looked at a 98 SSEi today and am trying to determine if it is worth buying it and dealing with problems that come with a car with almost 200,000 miles where EVERYTHING is original.
Heres what I know:
- Oil is overfilled by 1.5" on the dipstick..I checked after running the car for 20 minutes and letting it sit for 10 minutes. I checked 4 time to be sure, oil is WAY overfilled
- The valve covers leak tremendously, smoke coming out of the hood with it closed
- On initial startup the Oil pressure is around 60PSI
- At WOT after warm its around 60PSI
- Crusing after its warm its around 45 PSI, just over the center marker to the right side
- Waiting in traffic after a few minutes it drops a hair below what I think is the 20PSI
mark, its still a 1/4 inch above the read area, but it gets low.
- The car'* oil is 6 months old, its not been driven more than 50 miles in the past 6 months
- There are good amounts of sludge under the oil fill cap...however the rockers look fine.
- The oil looks brand new, but it clearly is 6 months old according to the sticker...
- Obviously I cant check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge since the car is not in my possession
- The oil pressure is about a 1/4 inch higher than my 94SSei when the LIM gaskets failed as shown in this pic:
its just a sliver below the "normal range" as described in the user manual
I fear a crank kit is in order, but I'm wondering if it could be caused by:
a) overfilling of the oil
b) cracked valve covers/destroyed valve cover gaskets
c) really old oil, the sludge is clogging the oil filter
Whats the lowest YOUR series II l67 car will go on the oil pressure gauge?
The Brake light issue:
- During heavy braking, AKA 90MPH to 0, the BRAKE light will come on, and the car will chime, it goes off after releasing the brake
- I tried messing with the e-brake switch (pushing the e-brake pedal back and forth)...same thing but for the chime to go it has to be depressed
- The ABS switch is not out of adjustment
- I reseated the harness on the master cylinder, same problem, brake fluid level is normal.
I'm thinking possible brake switch failure or a failing MC....